You know us, we don't go very long without remodeling something!
Miss Kat's High School Graduation is over. Track season is over. School is out, which means that I have Friday's off. Which also meant that I had lots of "free" time to do projects!
After much thought and discussion, Kevin agreed that I could paint the kitchen cabinets. Remember back in January when we replaced the counter tops? I said then that the Oak just didn't match the new tops or the trim that we stained to match the counter tops and new back splash. We (I) decided to take a chance and paint the cabinets.
I looked at lots of examples of rustic cabinet treatments on Pinterest and the web. I thought about what I wanted, and decided on a Barn Red with a black glaze. Except I wasn't sure I wanted to go with black, but thought a dark brown would work. I asked opinions from lots of friends and family members. I especially picked the brain of Megan, who had recently painted her cabinets. She's in the design business and I value her opinion and experience. She let me know that it was a lot of work, and she was right!
Before pictures: just as a reminder of where we started!
So, three weeks ago, I started sanding the cabinets. I removed the doors, removed the hardware, and sanded.
And bought more sandpaper.
Then I stopped by Sherwin Williams for paint.
I got primer (tinted dark grey), and the paint.
Two weekends ago, I painted. On Friday, I painted the primer. Two coats. On Saturday, I painted red. Two coats. (actually three on the cabinet doors.) I painted from 8 in the morning until after 9 p.m. both days. I held a brush so long that I had blisters!
I also made a mad dash to the paint store for wall paint because we knew we weren't keeping the green, but I hadn't decided on a color.
And on Sunday, I made another mad dash to Dodge to the paint store because I hated the first color I'd picked! It was too light and just didn't work.
This past Friday, I mixed my glaze color. And instantly began second guessing my color choice. It wasn't as dark as I'd envisioned. But I was NOT making another trip to town to change colors! And I persevered. And texted photos to Megan and Bailey for their input. Both said they liked it, but I wasn't sure...
I finally decided that if I hated it when done, I could put another glaze over this one, but use black.
On Saturday, I took a break and went with Kevin to Wichita. He was helping some friends move. I went along and helped unload the truck. We also stopped by Menards on our way home to get a few items we needed. Like spray paint.
We'd decided to re-use the existing hardware, but we both really disliked it. So, we spray painted it Oil-Rubbed Bronze.
At Menards, we also bought a piece of beadboard to put on the front of the bar (the dining room side.) I'd painted it, but it was that paper-covered plywood, like what we had on the sides of all of our el-cheapo cabinets. That large of an area didn't take the paint well and I really hated the look of it--even after I glazed it. It just looked awful. We had to do something with it!
On Sunday, we rehung the cabinet doors, and I put on all the hardware. Kev put up the bead board. (which necessitated another flying trip to Dodge, because his staple/finish nail gun died. We bought a new one. He uses it way too often to be without!)
Here's the finished project (pre clean-up):
The east wall.
The West wall.
The Dining Room side of the bar with it's new beadboard walls.
The South wall.
The North side/kitchen side of the bar.
I still need to paint the dining room. It's still green. I'm happy with the beige/tan wall color (it's darker in person than in photos.) It goes great with my window treatment, so I'm keeping my chicken valances. (Yeah!)
I do have a small confession. It's been humid enough that drying time is a wee bit slower than anticipated. I stacked my doors to bring upstairs, and a couple of them stuck together! I have to touch up two cabinets. And I think I will take Megan's advice and get some water based Polyurethane and give everything a coat--including the hardware. I'm hoping I can apply it without dismantling everything...we'll see. I also need to find some little pads to put in the corners of the cabinet doors to help with the "bang" upon closing.
And, for some reason, a couple of the big pantry doors don't line up like they did. Kev tried leveling them, but that caused a gap problem. So, we have to be a little careful about closing them just right, but I can live with that. Hopefully this will last us till we can remodel the entire kitchen, in three or four years.
Kev is not a paint guy. He really likes the beauty of natural wood (if you hadn't figured that out by now!) He admitted that this looked nice, and looked better than what we had, and that he didn't necessarily have faith in me. He just KNEW that I'd get started and that something wouldn't work right and we'd be forced to buy new cabinets. He of little faith :)
I decided that the brown glaze works well. It brings out the browns in the trim, the back splash and the counter tops. The black hardware brings out the black in everything...so it does work. (I shouldn't doubt myself as much as I do either!)
I'd like to say this was a cheap fix, but it wasn't cheap. I spent $200 in paint and primer. I guess that's cheaper than a new kitchen, but it was more than I hoped to spend :). However...I think buying GOOD paint is worth it.
Right now, I'm ready to retire my brush and get my kitchen back to normal. I need to finish Kat's scrapbook/album (with graduation stuff.) I've got a cross stitch project to finish. (I haven't touched it since April!) I've got flower beds to weed, and hopefully some canning in my future.
Today, I'm tickled...red...about the new look in the kitchen and am ready for normal. However...Miss Kat did mention that her bathroom is the only room in the house we haven't touched. We might have to look into that!