Monday, May 15, 2006

We had a celebration this weekend. Kim, our dear friend and neighbor graduated from college with her teaching degree. And, she got a job last Thursday night! We are so happy for her and her family and excited for them as well.

They've all had a rough road, with mom going to school, working 2 jobs and trying to keep up with her family obligations. Kev and I have helped out as much as we could, watching the kids (while Bob worked nights, and Kim had classes). We've traded kids, vehicles, etc.

Kim wanted to celebrate by having a BBQ and bonfire. So Saturday night, we got together, relaxed around their fire pit, enjoying food, drinks and good company. Until Kim fell asleep--at 10:00. Yep, 3 hours into the celebration, the hostess, and honoree fell asleep.

Two years of stress, worry, and hard work were over, so she crashed. But, it was OK. I certainly understood and the kids were still having fun and Kev and I visited with Bob and watched the fire burn till 1 a.m. And Kim slept through the whole thing.

They've proven to be among our closest friends. We were all raised similarly, have the same values and ideas for our children. My mom commented that it was a rare friendship when I could discipline my neighbors kids just as I did my own, and vice versa. And, thinking about it, she's right. I have several friends who's kids I never discipline or correct. Their parents would come uncorked.

But Kim and Bob, nope, they just say "OK, then, thanks." and we move on. Of course they can do the same with OUR kids too. I like every member of their family. I like spending time with them, just chatting or doing some activity with them. They're more than friends, they are family.

Congratulations Teacher Kim. You've worked hard. You'll be an excellent teacher. We're very proud of you and are glad you and your family are a part of our lives.

1 comment:

agent713 said...

That is *awesome* Friends like that are a rare treasure.
Congrats to Kim. I have a few friends that are teachers. It's exciting to see someone achieve their goals like that.
~Heidi