Monday, November 27, 2006

My plans for Thanksgiving break...

I had the whole week off for Thanksgiving. That was so nice and I needed a break from work. So, being me, I planned activities to fill my time at home. Monday, I would clean the kitchen, pay bills, then sew some fabric bowls. Tuesday, I'd finish sewing, maybe cut out some doll clothes for Kat for Christmas, and spend a little time cleaning. Wednesday, the kids would be home, so together, we'd clean. Thursday, my folks and brother's family would be up, the Herron's would also be over for Thanksgiving. Friday, Mom and I would run to my Aunt Sandy's to see her kids and new grandbabies. We also make some popcorn balls and maybe some bath bombs. Saturday, they'd go home, I'd rest.

Would someone please remind me NOT to plan?

Monday started off well, I paid bills and cleaned the kitchen. Then Lynn called and asked me to help him take Lacey to the vets to put her to sleep. He's needed to do this, but wasn't emotionally ready to put his companion of 15 years to sleep. It was time. I went by to take them. Lynn put an afghan in the back of the pickup, laid Lacey down, and she died. Right then and there. So, I helped this big, strong, tough man bury his dog. He was pretty broken up. That took most of the afternoon, and then I spent the rest of the day running errends. So much for my plans.

Kat was supposed to have dance that night, but decided to throw up instead. So, the rest of the night, all night, I spent with her, patting her back, laying in bed with her, washing her bedding. Not at all on my list of plans to do. Can someone tell me why kids get sick when it's the weekend or vacation? I'd rather get a day off work to care for a sick kid rather than give up a "me" day. And yet, it was nice to snuggle with her on the couch. It made her feel better. It also made tuesday a very non-productive day. So much for my Tuesday plans.

She was back to normal by Wednesday, so we all dug in a cleaned. We even rearranged the basement. Somehow, I managed to con Kevin into helping with that chore! That is one day that went according to plan.

Thursday morning, as I was making my first ever butterscotch pie (using my great grandmother's recipie), I got a phone call. "This is R, Cody and Austin's stepdad. They might not make it, because Cody fell of the horse and broke his arm."

My brother's kids seem to have a deathwish on holidays. 2 years ago, Austin had to have stitches in his leg after gouging out a huge hole. Now, it was Cody's turn. So, it was my job to break the news to Mom and Dad when they arrived. But, Steve and the boys did show up about 5:30. Cody insisted they come, but it was obvious he didn't feel very well. He just wanted to be with us.

We ate without them. Lunch turned out really well too. Ham, Turkey, the works. 4 pies. Yum. Good times with family and friends. Except for Cody's accident, this day also went fairly well according to plan.

Friday's plans were shot though. We went to Sandy's early, becasue their day was full. So we visited with them about 2 hours, got to hold the babies, then drove our hour drive back home to discover more guests. Lynn's daughter and grandson were there to visit too! So, Mom and I never sewed, never made bath bombs, never made the popcorn balls.

Saturday, we got everyone ready to go home. And had more guests! Kev's brother and sister-in-law, stopped by. It was great to see them, but I was still in my morning sweats and tee-shirt. Hair not combed, etc. But, they didn't care. We sat and visited. Everyone was gone by 3 p.m. I sat and rested, until the Herrons came by, so we ate supper together (leftovers!) and watched tv till midnight. Well, they watched tv, I fell asleep. I think I had something planned for saturday, but I can't remember just what it was...

Now, it's back to normal. Back to work. Back to routine. But I haven't done any Christmas shopping, so I need to work on that plan...

No comments: