Thursday, October 08, 2009

eggs

The girls have been laying eggs for 4 or 5 months now. When we had 23 chickens, I averaged a dozen a day. Then, we lost a couple to some idiot stray dogs.A couple of weeks ago, I sold 5 hens. I didn't have to sell the girls, but a friend of my Mom wanted a few hens and I decided that we'd do fine with 15 hens.

Plus, the roost was a little full with 20 girls on it, so I did need some space.

And...I wanted to get a Rooster or two to help out my girls who continually hear their biological clock tick. So, I got a couple of Roosters. I lucked out and got two roosters for free from some friends. Best part, they are the same breed (Buff Orpington) as the girls!

No "randy" behavior yet...the boys aren't really quite old enough to be interested in that sort of thing...yet. But, Henny or Penny...one of them...is broody again. Not sure if it's because the boys are there or what, because it's really not the right time of year to be brooding. I'm sure in another couple of months tho, the boys will be thinking about that and will be ready to assist the girls in their broodiness... That's what I like about men...no matter what species, they are always ready to lend a ...err...hand when it comes to procreation.

Here's a shot of some eggs we gathered last week (on a day when someone forgot to get eggs the day before.) There's more than 8 eggs here. 13 and 1/2 or there bouts...
The 1/2 if for this little fella--below.

(Splotches are from my wet fingers and are not to be considered a flaw or imperfection in otherwise perfect and beautiful brown eggs.)

He's just a wee bit small. First time egg layin' size. What's up with that???

Not sure what happens, but occasionally, we'll get a really small, pullet sized egg. When you break it open, the yolk is about the size of a pencil eraser. Not really worth anything except to scramble with other eggs. But they're cute!
So, that's an update on the girls. Stay tuned for another episode of "As the Egg Turns"
or "News from the Biddies"
or "Cheep, cheep, cheep, pick a little, talk a little..."
or "Adventures of Randy the Rooster and Henny the Hen "
or...
Ok, ok, I'll stop!




No comments: