Friday, August 31, 2007

the big huntin' trip

My husband is leaving me for two weeks. He's going elk hunting with two buddies from here, the previously mentioned shoppers, Lynn and Bob.

I'm not sure if they will come back.

This trip could almost be called the "Trip of a Lifetime" because it's probably the first and last time they can all go bow hunting for elk. Of course, if they get any elk, it might be the first of many trips. But if that's the case, I'm going next time.

I've pretty much stayed out of the planning of this trip. Right guys? See, they agree. I've stayed out of this. So, if they get up into the wilds of Colorado without enough clean underwear, or without any eating utensils, or a pillow to sleep on, or any towels to wash up with, it's not my fault.

Besides the previously mentioned $340 grocery bill, this trip has expenses that are...well, expensive.

We've bought a flatbed 16 foot or so trailer in order to haul all the crap they think they need, crap like two 4-wheelers, a deep freeze (and the generator to RUN the deep freeze), a toilet-seat-on-a-box, boxes of food, boxes of bedding, the tent, the barrel stove to heat the tent. Stove pipe so they don't die from the smoke from the stove (It's not packed yet, but that's not my fault either.) Let's see...carpet to put under their beds so their little tootsies don't get cold in the morning. Cots to sleep on. Ump-teen pairs of hunting boots...See why we had to buy that trailer?

We've bought licenses...out of state licenses....very expensive. Like $500 expensive.

We bought new camo clothing because you can't wear the same clothes everyday for 14 days. So we bought lots and lots of camo clothes.

We bought new boots for this hunting trip because, well, I guess because those boots we wear every year deer hunting just don't work for elk.

We bought new arrows. Lots of new arrows. Expensive new arrows. And new fletchings and wraps for the pretty new arrows. Now, think about this one. We bought 24 new arrows and the goal is to use one. I repeat, ONE. That leaves 23 other arrows to do...something with.

Lynn bought a new GPS system. But I'm not sure he knows how to read it, so if he gets lost, he'll still be lost. I think Bob knows how to use one, but I'm pretty sure that they guys won't be together when they are hunting, so Bob will be of no use to Lynn. Lynn's gonna get lost--with his new GPS.

I'm sure I've left out some of the expenses of this trip. And I'm not adding it up. Scares me to much.

The boys are excited and plan on leaving at 5 a.m. tomorrow. They might make it, but I'm not sure how they'll get it all packed, cause I won't be here to help. Yep, someone will forget their underwear. I wouldn't be surprised if someone forgets to pack their bow...but I'm stayin' out of it.

No comments: