Friday, August 24, 2007

Senior Moments 1982

Thursday, August 23, 2007

BLOG CHALLENGE: Senior Moments From Cowtown Stacy...

In honor of the new school year, think back to your senior year of high school, and answer these questions accordingly

1. Who was your best friend? I had some really good friends, who probably were my "best friends". But my friends varied to where I was and what I was doing. Gisele was my school and 4-H best friend. Ranae was my wild and crazy/ornery best friend. Wendy was my rebellious best friend. Ranae, Wendy and I did a lot of fun and crazy things.

2. Did you play any sports? There wasn't much option. For girls, we had tennis, Basketball and Track. I didn't do tennis. I was the Basketball team manager and I did do track. My Sr. year, I threw the Shot. Wasn't a good year for me because, in practice, i routinely threw 36' to 38', enough to win meets. At meets, I'd throw 36' and then I'd scratch. So, I usually took 4th. There was tremendous competition in girls field events while I was there. In fact, the three girls in my school who did field events usually racked up enough points for us to win every single track meet that year.

3. What kind of car did you drive? Sometimes, Mom would let us drive her car. 1975 Ford Torino. Green. But Steve and I would fight over who got to drive. We also could sometimes take the Toyota. 1980 tan Toyota pickup. Some days, Steve would drive, and take his friends to town. Some days, I'd drive and take my friends. Some days, Steve and I had to ride together. Some days we rode with our friends when they drove. Quite often, we rode the bus. In fact, I think we only got to drive on Game days and only then if Dad wasn't coming to watch.

4. It’s Friday night. Where were you? Duh. The games. Either the football game or the basketball games.

5. Were you a party animal? No, I wanted to be, but getting drunk seemed so pointless to me. I did spend lots of Friday nights--after the game--dragging main and goofing off with my friends. We often didn't get home until after midnight. There was some drinking, but I never got drunk. Besides, I got tired of the taste of beer long before I could get drunk.

6. Were you considered a flirt? Lord no. I knew everyone from the time we were all babies. No reason to flirt with guys you knew that well. I still don't know how to flirt.

7. Were you in the band, orchestra or choir? Band. Trombone. At times the only trombone player.

8. Were you a nerd? No.

9. Were you ever suspended or expelled? No.

10. Can you sing the fight song? "Go Ashland down the field, fight on forever. Catch, pass and make that throw we'll win fair or stooooormy weather. This is our battle cry, fight on forever. Ashland Bluejays go for the touchdown for our school...

11. Who was your favorite teacher? Man. There wasn't just one. I enjoyed most classes. If I had to pick, I'd pick Mr G.

12. What was your school mascot? Bluejay

13. Did you go to the Prom? Well, yeah. But without a date. Ranae was my "date." We went "stag" together. Those who had dates were only those kids who were "going steady." Since most of us didn't have a steady, there were very few kids who had dates. Prom was basically an all-school event anyway. Jr. parents cook the meal and plan prom. Sophomore students served the meal and provided the entertainment at supper. Then the dance was for all Jr's, Sr's, and Sophomores. The whole thing was in the school cafeteria. I wish more proms involved the whole student body.

14. If you could go back, would you? No. I'm not the same person. Or, I'd like to think I'm not the same person...

15. What do you remember most about graduation? Thinking I wouldn't cry and then I did. Hating the song we sang---"Tomorrow." My Grandma telling me how important it was for her and Grandpa to be there cause they probably wouldn't see any of Sandy's kids graduate. (Fer cryin' out loud, she was only 62, and she's still kickin'.)

16. Where were you on Senior Skip Day? We had a Senior Trip. We were gone a whole week. We went to Texas. Flew from Wichita to Dallas (my only plane ride) then we chartered a bus to San Antonio where we went to Lonestar Beer, the Alamo, the River Walk, then back to Dallas where we spent a day at 6 flags then we flew home a day early and went shopping at the Mall in Wichita. We flew home early because Texas still had the "blue laws" where no stores were open on Sunday.

17. Did you have a job your senior year? No. No one did. There was absolutely no where to work in Ashland or even in Englewood. I had worked harvest at the elevator during the summer and that money had to last me the school year. O wait, I did clean house for Mrs. Terry every Saturday. It took a whole hour to clean her house, and I made a whopping $5 each Saturday. And, I did sell Avon too... (How could i forget selling Avon. Dodo, forgive me.)

18. Where did you go most often for lunch? No choice. We ate at the cafeteria. But our cooks, Mrs. Smith, Mrs. Watson and Mrs. Theander cooked our food--from scratch. I know cause I helped them one week.

19. Have you gained weight since then? uh. Yah.

20. What did you do after high school? That summer I ran the swimming pool. Then I went to college and moved on with my life.

No comments: