Thursday, February 16, 2006

that stinky potato smell

For 4 days, we've had a nasty smell in the basement. It smelled like a rotton potato. Since the few remaining home-grown potatos were soft and beginning to go bad, I assumed that they were the culprit. We tossed them all on Monday night. Took them out to the compost. But the smell remained.

I reassured Kev that the smell would go away in a couple of days. I sprayed with Lysol and went on my merry way. But the smell didn't go away.

Last night, I told Kev that I'd move everything on Saturday and see where that rotton potato was and get rid of it once and for all.

This morning, being the good husband he is, Kevin went downstairs to get some pork chops out for supper. He came upstairs yelling "Shelly, come here, you've got to see this, I found it!"

Thinking that the dogs were doing something funny, or the goats were being silly, or maybe it was snowing really hard, I went to the kitchen.

"I found it!" "See this, someone forgot to put it back into the freezer, look."

Recognizing his old lunchbox cooler, I looked. Moldy perch, nasty looking liver and gizzards.

The culprit.

It wasn't a nasty potato, it was nasty, moldy, perch and rotton liver.

You see, I had cleaned out the freezer and forgot to put back the cooler with fish bait in it. We threw away innocent potatos.

Now, my whole house smells like nasty moldy "stuff." And now, that smell and taste are in my mouth.

Ick.

1 comment:

tosin said...

Oh no! I hate the "What's that smell" game. I'm glad you found it and got rid of it! (Poor potatoes - they never saw it coming...)
:D
~toemi~