Thursday, February 23, 2006

trimming hooves

We trimmed hooves today. Winter was none to cooperative. But, it had to be done, her hooves were in awful shape and since she's less than 6 weeks from delivery, I wanted to get it done. She's always been cooperative, standing still, letting me put the halter on her, walking and standing where I want her to. She's always been easy to handle. Not today.

I think she was having some of those pregnancy hormones raging. Nope, she didn't want the halter. Nope, not going to walk over there, nope, not going to let me pick up her feet. Yep, she bit me on the butt.

It didn't hurt, but it was a pinch. And, in my opinion, very undignified. It's not like I like trimming hooves, it's not like it hurts her, it makes it easier for her to walk. But, those pregnancy hormones they do it to goats just like humans. The hooves got trimmed. My butt will recover. It just took longer than normal.

Actually, I don't mind trimming hooves. It reminds me of going with Daddy when he shoed horses. The smells are similar. The scent of manure and hooves is universal for all animals. And, for some odd reason, it comforting to me. It takes me home, to my childhood, to a time when just getting to go with Daddy was all that mattered. To a time when I felt oh-so-special. Maybe I do like trimming hooves after all.

No comments: