Friday, August 18, 2006

Just to keep things even...

I scrolled down through my blog to see if anyone has left any comments. While scrolling, I ran across the entry where I share finding lost checks in my daughter's school trapper...Well, just to keep things interesting, here's one for her big brother.

Fair week is hectic. Hectic really isn't a strong enough word for what fair week is, but hectic comes close.

Friday of the fair was the day for the Round Robin Showmanship competition in the morning and the Livestock sale in the afternoon. After the Round Robin and between the sale, we ran home for a few restful, cool, hours at home. Andy competited in the Round Robin, so he had his dress clothes as well as his "I can get these dirty" clothes. Of course, right after the competition, he changed into his grungies, and threw his good clothes into the back seat of the pickup. He then had to drive us home, because he has his license now and since then, I've forgotten how to drive.

Once home, I grabbed his clothing with his cell phone and carried all into the house. He then carried them down to his bedroom. Later that day, we couldn't find his phone. Exhaustion had kicked in, but I knew I brought his phone in.

"Did you look downstairs, in your room?"

"Yes."

"Did you look in your clothes?"

"Yes."

Not having time to look closely, we left it for another day. The next day, Saturday, I called his phone, thinking we'd hear it ring, but it went straight to voice mail. The battery was dead. But I knew it was in his room.

This went on for two weeks. I'd ask, "Andy, have you looked everywhere in your room?" He'd always reply "Yes MOTHER, I looked."

"Did you move everything?"

"Yes Mom, I did."

This went on, until the day he asked if we could go file a police report and then use the insurance to get a new phone.

I took matters into my own hands. Marching down to his room, I started moving stuff. I cleared off the dresser, the bedside table, the bookcase, the TV stand, and then I looked under the bed. Now, while I'm doing this, my 5'10" 15 year old son stood beside me and said "Mom, I told you I looked. You just don't trust me. You should trust me. I swear I looked everywhere and moved everything."

At this point, my head pops up from looking under the bed and I simply toss the phone on the bed, in front of my son, who I don't trust.

"Oh." That's all he said.

"What did you just say about me trusting you?"

"Nothing" he replied as he sheepishly picked up his phone, grinned at me, gave me a kiss, and walked out of his room.

I'm relaying this story--just to keep things even.

No comments: