Thursday, January 18, 2007

needles vs. OTC meds

I took Kat in for allergy testing and treatment. Finally. I've only been planning this for 2-3 years now, but I finally took her in for acupuncture.

Miss Kat is what I call a snot factory. She's always congested, always has a nice full load of snot. She's always sniffing and snorting. I'd call her the Queen of Snot, but she'd be very offended. She is however, the Queen of stubbornness--especially when it comes to taking any kind of medicine.

When she was a baby and had some little thing and had to take amoxicillian, we had to hide it in her juice in her bottle, then sippy cup. She wouldn't take it otherwise. Later, as she got bigger, we'd literally have to sit on her and force meds in her. We still do, and sh'e s 10 going on 11! This child would rather feel miserable than take medicine. We've tried them all, the instantly dissovling pills and those tape things, crushing and dissolving pills, hiding them in cheese, teaching her to swallow pills, chewable pills. She refuses to take them at all. I've seen her with a fever of 101 refusing to take any medicine.

It's enough to drive you mad.

So, this is why we are trying acupuncture. She'd rather have needles stuck in her than to take any medicines. I've heard good things about acupuncture for allergies from some of my friends who've done it. We're trying it.

Kat tested positive for milk, wheat, trees, flowers and weeds. She was treated for trees (since we're safe because of the cold.) She'll be treated for weeds and flowers next. I hope this works. It would be nice to see the Queen of Snot become the Queen of Deep Breathing.

No comments: