Wednesday, January 31, 2007

random thoughts

1. The highlight of my birthday trip to Cabela's was finding a bottle of Ruby Red Squirt at a convenience store. Isn't that so weird? A bottle of pop is the highlight of a weekend get-away. But, I can't get it anymore here at home, no one sells it anymore. The Coke distributorship for our area doesn't stock or market it. I can get it when I go east--towards Salina, or north, into Nebraska, but not anywhere in Western Ks or in Colorado. I was so excited to find in in Ogallah, NE, that I bought 3 bottles. THREE bottles! Two are gone, but I'm saving that last bottle for a day when the hankerin' for it is irresistible.

2. Kevin just about crapped his pants when I told him what I paid for our new Aladdin Lamp. I ordered the lamp from Lehman's hardware store located in Kidron, Ohio, the heart of Amish country. I got a lamp, oil, and an extra mantel for a little over $100. Personally, I think it was a good investment. He'll get over the shock. And next time we are without power, we'll have more light than our current oil lamp puts out and I will just smile.

3. Day three, and the dogs still haven't tore up the shop, and they haven't escaped.

4. If the school system in this town would quit letting kids out of school all the time, the school year would end May 1st. The kids are out again this afternoon for another teacher inservice. They started school an hour late last Wednesday for---teacher inservice. And, in two weeks, they'll have a Friday off because of ---teacher inservice. No, actually that one will be for parent-teacher conferences. But they get February 23 off because the kids all scored so highly on their assessment tests. As a parent, it is so annoying. But, since when has a school system ever taken parents needs and wants into consideration?

5. Today's high is expected to be around 21 degrees and snow. The forecast for Friday is 9 degrees, with 35 mph winds. It's going to be a l.o.v.e.l.y. week.

No comments: