Tuesday, April 03, 2007

just me being me...

Andy and I had his new goats banded yesterday. Banding means that a rubber band is placed around the testicles. Over time, it will cut off the blood supply and the testicles will fall off. Making our little buck into a little whether. We got the first goat banded just fine. (And, we did have help, cause we're novices, a friend of Andy's, a sheep-person, helped.)

When we went to band the second little goat, the one my son picked out all on his own, we discovered that this little buckling was actually a little doe. Yep, she's a little girl. She has 4 nipples instead of two, but she's a girl. So, I'm calling the vet to see how to remove those extra nipples and we, needless to say, didn't band anything on her. But, now we need to buy another little goat to show. We can show this little girl as a breeding female, but not as a meat animal.

So, evidently, Andy doesn't always know what to look for when picking out goats. I'm not real sure how he mistook nipples for testicles, but he did. And, since I'm a nice, loving mother, I won't harass him about this oh-so-important-difference. I'm confident he'll figure it out... someday...

No comments: