Wednesday, September 19, 2007

signatures

Monday night, Kev and I signed some papers to refinance our house. In signing, they wanted us to use our middle initials. Since I don't normally use an initial anymore, it proved a challenge to me. So much so, that on two very important documents, I signed Shelly J. Woodruff.

I haven't been Shelly J. Woodruff for 12, almost 13 years now. But, I signed it on not one, but two documents.

Kev looked at my signature and then at me and asked if there was anything I wanted to tell him...

No, honey, I have no intention of changing my name again.

My only excuse is that "Shelly J" was what I signed when I was single. That's how I signed everything. Once we got married, and my name changed, it was just easier not to use that middle initial, so I dropped it. Heck, I usually don't even pick up the pen to sign my name--it's all one motion.

My guess is that "Shelly J" is tied to Woodruff in my mind, and one just automatically leads into the other. It was automatic. And, on one of the signatures, I remember making my "W" look better, because it wasn't "right". Yeah, I'm a certified doofus.

No comments: