Monday, December 10, 2007

"weather" or "weather" not

I'm trying to decide what to do.

You see, the weather forecast isn't good. We're supposed to have freezing rain and snow starting this afternoon and on through the night. Tomorrow's forecast is for snow.

I can:
  • drive to Big E tonight and hope and pray that I can get here tomorrow.
  • stay in a hotel room tonight here in DC, ensuring I can be at work by 7:30 a.m.
  • drive to Big E and get stuck there tomorrow, which would leave no one to work at the library.

Then there's tomorrow...

  • I can plan to drive home tomorrow night on slick and icy roads.
  • I can plan on spending the night again in a hotel.
  • I can be stuck in Big E till Wednesday.

I just don't know what to do. I have to decide though before I leave here tonight. I'm guessing that I'll get a hotel tonight, but...well, we all know weather. It might not DO anything at all, and then I'd be out $80 for a hotel room that I didn't need. But, I'd save $30 on gas too. And, then tomorrow, do I plan for the worst and go ahead and get a room, or risk it and drive. I'll wait till tomorrow, because...well, you never know when it comes to weather.

**********

I didn't get to go home to see my family this past weekend--because of weather. I stayed in Big E, alone and lonely. Well, sort-a.

Mom and I drove to DC on Saturday and I ordered my new refrigerator. We did a small amount of shopping, but not much. Then we drove home. I'd stopped at Blockbusters and rented some movies to watch, so when we got home, I watched one. Then I got ready for Big E's Christmas potluck. Mom told me to walk over to their house around 6 and I could ride up to the school house with Daddy. (The school house is now the community center. The school closed in 1970 when Englewood consolidated with Ashland.) So, around 6, I drove over to Mom and Dad's house--no one was home. They'd already gone up to the school house--without me!

I got myself there just fine. Because the weather was nasty, the numbers of people at the party was pretty small. I think we counted 32 people. And, I was the youngest adult there. There were 3 kids there, but they came with their grandparents. I was surprised at the number of people who I didn't know! I mean, the total population of Englewood is 60 people--not counting those who live in the country, so add another 30 to the area population. But, I'd guess there were 10 people I did not know. (Some drove over from Ashland and some are recent "emigrants" to town.) Unbelievable! That's 1/3 of the total group! But, I had a nice time visiting with those I did know. But...most of them are getting old and are looking old. They should still be in their 40's - 70's; just like they were when I lived there!

On Sunday, I watched more movies and went to Mom and Dad's to do my laundry and just hung out with them for the afternoon. I feel just like a college student again.

So, while I missed my kids and my husband terribly, it wasn't a bad weekend at all...

No comments: