Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Happy birthday bro

Today is my little brother's birthday. He turns 41 today, and he's not so "little". He's 6'3" or 4" and probably 210 lbs. He out grew me a long time ago. And, I'm so glad he did. For our entire growing up years, I was WAY bigger than he was. I hated it. I was teased and called "fat" and he was so little, skinney, and shrimpy. I so wanted to be like him. He was popular, had lots of friends, I had a few. He was very athletic. I had to bust my butt. He never stood up for me either. That so annoyed me. I wanted a "BIG" brother--one older and bigger who would stand up for me. Instead, I got this little brother who was also11 months younger than me.

I had my revenge tho--our history teacher in HS called him Shelly once in class. HA! He was mortified.

He's become someone I really like rather than someone I tolerate or someone I fight with--even to the point of chasing him down the hallway with a paring knife. (I wouldn't have used it, but dang it, I'm the big sister and he should do what I say and not make me so darn mad. It didn't help that he was laughing as he was running away from me.)

Now, we call each other with troubles. Me less than him because I have Kev and he's still single. I pray all the time that he finds someone to love. Someone to love him back. He's got a lot of love, to give, but is afraid. He's been hurt so many times, and this last time, well....I think that now he keeps women at arms distance. It will take a special, stubborn woman to break down those walls he built.

I love watching him with his boys though. Twins. They are so very much like their dad, and yet so very different from their dad and from each other. But I really saw my brother show love to those little boys--from the day they were born. He was loving, affectionate and actually took care of them. Showing affection to his sister was always something he was not good at--still isn't, but he can show love and affection to his boys. At times, I think he's a better parent than I am, but then I have to remember that our kids are very different, and our parenting is very different.

Because there are just the two of us, he calls me Sis. I never even noticed what he called me until Kevin pointed it out to me. Now, I do notice, and it makes me warm inside.

I see a great deal of my brother in my son. That's good, except when Andy (my son) is in trouble and I yell "Damnit Steve" instead of "Andy." We all laugh about it, but I know I do it because they react so very much the same. And, I love them both

Happy birthday bro. I love ya.

No comments: