Thursday, January 19, 2006

I'm a reader

I'm a reader. A voracious reader. I've had a book in my hand from the time I learned to read. When I was in 4-H, I kept a list of all the books I read. I started it again in 2003. It's an excel file and I just add to it as I finish a book. Last year, in 2005, I read only 36 books. Well, only 36 that I wrote down. I don't usually re-write my re-reads. I usually re-read some of my favorite authors--like Anne McCaffrey's PERN books, or Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series and usually the Harry Potter series.

I like re-reading old favorites because, well, I know the story, but sometimes the details register more on the second, third, or 4th reading. And, they are old friends, so it's nice to revisit them. I tend to re-read when I need some escape, some comfort. Sometimes I finish a book, sometimes, I just read what I need to "get my fix" and then I stop, and put them back on the shelf.

I also only buy and keep those I know I will re-read. Other books, I will borrow from the library--either our library or I'll Interlibrary Loan them in. Sometimes they are books I'm considering buying for the library, sometimes they are titles I want to read, but can't justify buying them for the library.

I don't buy books. A reader who doesn't buy books. Well, I do buy a few--those re-reads and I usually buy the Nora Roberts books. Those, I read and donate to the library. My re-reads are MINE. I do not share them.

Looking at my list, there are some trends. I seem to prefer women writers. I also seem to avoid most of the mainstream popular writers. I've never read Tom Clancey, or Danielle Steele. I don't do mysteries. I like some sci-fi, some fantasy, lots of time-travel, some romance, some general fiction that doesn't fit any category. I really like to read biographies and non fiction. Yup, that's weird, but who cares.

I read everywhere. While eating breakfast at the table, I've got a book or a magazine. Magazines are easier at the table. I read in the bathroom--while bathing and while not bathing. :) I read while watching TV and I read in bed. The only place I can't read is in a car. I get car sick, which is odd, because for 13 years, I read while on the schoolbus.

Right now, I'm reading two books--Wild Seasons: Gathering and Cooking Wild Plants of the Great Plains and and Anne McCaffrey book.

You'd think as a librarian, that I'd read at work. Unfortunately, nope, no time. Well, I do read book reviews and journal articles and some scientific articles to keep current on search terms and topics for students. Right now, I should be reading a report, but it's dry and I'm tired. Now, if I could read my Anne McCaffrey book...at work...well, I'm not too tired for that!

No comments: