Monday, April 03, 2006

I've been rejected

Remember that feeling--that feeling you get the first time your baby recognizes you, and his little face lights up with a big old grin, just because he recognizes you and knows you are his momma. Remember?

I had that feeling again. Except it was caused by Miss Monkey, the goat. I put Monkey in a dog kennel at night with one of her siblings, then Saturday morning, I went out and let them out and gave Monkey her bottle. She drank it down, then ran off to play with her siblings. At 11:00, I went out again with her "mid-day" bottle. I walked into the barn, called her. She stopped playing, looked at me, and her little tail just started swinging. She had her tail moving so fast, her entire back end was just wiggling. She ran over to me and started in on her bottle, finishing it lickity-split. Then, she let me cuddle her, and she ran off to play.

At 4:00, I brought out her last bottle of the day. But this time, she didn't run to me. She stopped, looked at me, jumped in the air and took off. So, I grabbed her, showed her the bottle, and she wouldn't open her mouth. Since I was holding her, I could feel that her tummy was full. She'd betrayed me and the bottle for her Mother's milk. What's up with that?

I stayed in the pen for probably 1/2 an hour, hoping she'd really come over for her bottle. And that little ...MONKEY...she just ran over to her Momma and started nursing. And her mother never once pushed her away. Not once. She just sniffed, and let her nurse. And, that was that. It's monday. She's still nursing her Momma.

I feel so betrayed. I've been rejected...by a goat.

No comments: