Monday, February 12, 2007

Asleep in the backseat

I found the following at home. I'd written it, oh, probably 3 years ago now and thought I'd post it.

My daughter fell asleep in the backseat today. Looking at her, in the rear view mirror, all bundled up in her blanket, mouth slightly open, head resting on her pillow, I remembered when I used to sleep on the backseat. Foremost in my mind was her faith that she was safe, secure and that I was nearby.

I have many memories of sleeping in the backseat. Sleeping in the front seat was a rare privilege, one that happened only when driving home from Grandma and Grandad Woodruff’s house, late at night. Steve, my brother and I would often argue over who’s turn it was to sleep in the front; head on Daddy’s lap, feet on Mom’s. The loser would inherit the back seat. Coat for a pillow and coat for a blanket, lulled to sleep by the murmur of our parent’s voices, the radio and the hum of the engine. there were times, when we'd argue just too much, and neither would get to sleep in the front seat. So, we'd lay down, heads at opposite ends, feet in each other's faces. Then, we'd argue about who was on the inside, where there was little danger of rolling off the seat onto the floor. Mom would tell us to "hush." And eventually, we'd fall asleep. Often, Mom and Daddy would just carry us to bed. What a sad day it was when they decided we were to big to be carried.

My Mother often worked at our Aunt Lela’s cafe during the breakfast shift. There were times when we didn’t have a babysitter, so Mom and Daddy would carry us to the car, we'd wake up enough to know that was where we were going. We’d go back to sleep and would waken later, sun shining in the car, which was parked behind the cafe. Still in our pj’s, I can remember running into the cafe to change and have breakfast. No worries, no fears, just that confident security that my Mom was near and all was right with the world.

My daughter fell asleep in the backseat today, and watching her, I smiled.

No comments: