Friday, February 23, 2007

Random thoughts...part 2 or is it 3?

Only in small town America can this happen--I pulled into the drive through this morning on my way to work with a deposit for our family account. The teller brought me some cash, and she brought me a blank check of my son's. Evidently it had stuck to the check he wrote to a local business. He didn't catch it, the business didn't catch it, but the bank did. So, they saved it for the family member who came in first. Now, would that happen in a big city? I just don't think so.

*****
I think I know why my chickens are on strike. I think, by eliminating the roosters, the hens are concentrating on regrowing their feathers. Their little backs were bare--from all the amorous attention from those randy roosters. Now that the roosters are gone, they are going through a kind of molting, and instead of putting their energy into laying eggs, they are instead growing new feathers. I did give orders for 12 eggs today. So, we'll see if they really care what I want or if they'd rather stay warmer with feathered backs...

*****
Today is Miss Kat's birthday. She's 11 today. Eleven years ago, at this minute, my contractions were getting pretty close together. I won't bore anyone with the horrors of childbirth, because, even though she was induced, my labor was relatively painless and quick. She was born at 10:00 a.m. Of course she was 2 weeks late and I'd swear she was grabbing onto my hipbones to keep from coming out in a timely fashion...but, I promised, no horror stories.

My baby, the final child of my loins is 11. She's not a baby. She's not a little girl. She's a girl on the verge of becoming a teenager. She's on the cusp of puberty. She's growing up.

*****
I still think I prefer snow to mud. We've run out of anywhere dry to park. The ruts in the driveway are record breaking. And, I think God is tired of hearing us pray as we drive into the yard. I think he is because there's a blizzard forecast for tomorrow. Another blizzard bringing anywhere from 3-9 inches of snow. Wind speed is being projected to be anywhere from 20 to 40 mph. We'll be blown shut...again.

Maybe I need to rethink my preference of snow over mud. Nope, I'd much rather walk on top of hard packed snow drifts than to wade through mud and water to feed the animals. But, dang it, that darn snow will melt sometime too. I may have to think this over. Mud...Snow...Mud...Snow...Mud...Snow...hummm.

*****
Yesterday I took treats to the school for Miss Kat's birthday celebration. My last time taking treats to the school. Next year, she'll be in Middle School. No parties for holidays or birthdays in Middle School. Since the kids are out of school today (again), we're taking friends bowling, having two friends spend the night, Grandma and Grandad Huelsman and cousin Sami are coming out from Colo Springs. We are having pizza and "dirt cake". Since one of her presents is a Dance Dance Revolution, it's going to be a wild and crazy night! Lord, help me. I'll have a new prayer tonight!

No comments: