Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Take a girl to work



Isn't is take your daughter to work day? Or any girl?This is shrimp or shrimp-ett or something. She doesn't have a name yet. She is the first born baby at our house this year. Unfortunately, her Mom decided to reject her, so she got to come to work with me today.

I'm trying to teach her how to drink from a black rubber nipple rather than from a nice pink warm soft nipple. She'd rather have that pink one than my black one.

It's a little disconcerting to see a new mother goat pick up a little one by the ear and toss her away. Or step away whenever we try to nurse or get pushed away or even have her little butt shoved away and bit. Gotta hand it to this little one, she was persistent and kept trying to steal a drink. She's been pretty good at work. Not too noisy, she's taken 2 oz so far (and had had 4 or 5 oz smeared all over her, me and the towel). I'm hopeful that she'll learn to drink from the bottle and that she'll grow and thrive.

She doesn't seem terribly frightened in my working environment, except when she tries to crawl under the desk or the credenza. I have a feeling that she won't be a librarian when she grows up.

No comments: