Monday, March 27, 2006

We've got babies

Our place is crawling with babies. 33 chicks who hopefully will grow up to be layers, peep away in their brooder. Kept warm by two heat lamps, they bring music to the henhouse. I love baby chicks. They are so much cuter than adults. I like holding them in my hands, their little feet resting, their little shrill voices peeping, their soft bodies warm in my hand. They are already starting to feather out, and will be "babies" for such a short time.

Momma Kitty was trying to get in the house all weekend. Yep, she still wants to have those babies in the house. She's so round with kittens. Won't be long till we have little kittens running around the farm. Maybe I should say MORE kittens. Her last litter is still running around. Guess they are almost adults themselves!

My favorite babies are our 4 newborn kids. Winter delivered Saturday night. I had invited L and S out for supper. We were just getting ready to eat when Andy ran in yelling, "Mom, she's dropped a kid! Winter's kidding!"

Out the door we all ran. I grabbed our birthing kit. Poor Winter, she gave birth to 3 of her 4 kids with an audience of 6. The kid already born was pretty dry already. I was afraid that she was done with one! But, trooper that she is, she soon settled down and had 3 more quickly. Two boys. Two girls. I didn't have to assist. I just helped clean babies up, dipped their umbilical cords, and gave all a dose of nutri-drench. Got Winter some water with molassas and some alfalfa when she was finished. At first, she didn't want these little creatures nursing, but she quickly discovered how good that felt. All are still doing well.

I love baby goats. They are still sleepy acting, and resting a lot, but today, I saw a couple of them attempt to jump. They don't quite have their land legs ready for serious jumping, and they still sometimes get confused which end gives the milk, but give them another couple of days and they'll be playing and running all over the place! Reminds me, we need to get some new wire on the gate, or they'll be out of the pen lickity split!

Nothing says spring like babies on a farm.

No comments: