Thursday, October 26, 2006

The art of making plans

I'm a planner. I like to know what I'm doing and when I'm doing it. I don't limit myself to a certain time, but I like knowing what's going on when. For example, I have supper planned; we're going to have leftover stew tonight. Tomorrow, we'll have something else, I'll plan that tonight. Today, after work, I plan on swimming. I plan on swimming 3 days a week. That's been my plan since school started. I average 2 times a week. Why? Because the cosmic forces are against planning.

Case in point:

We planned two weeks ago for me to take this Friday off, deliver Kev's car to the dealer in Colo Springs for repair, and come home Saturday. The kids were out of school, and I have some days at work that I could take off. Perfect--but every one else at work planned on being gone. And, their plans were probably more important than mine. I guess an angioplasty and a tonsilectomy are more important than me taking a car to get worked on. I think so, but I had it all planned, and now I had to adjust my plans.

So we went to plan B. We planned to make a flying trip out Thursday night. I'd drive the car to work. Kev would be working in Burlington, when I got off work, I'd drive out with Miss Kat, we'd meet up with him, we'd then drive on to Limon to meet the family who would then take the car to the dealer for us, pick it up, and then we'd either meet them again over the weekend in Limon, or we'd just drive on and pick it up ourselves. Nice plan B. Not as simple, but do-able. That plan lasted until Wednesday morning.

The weather forecast for Colo Springs called for a blizzard on Thursday. Oops. So, Plan C came into effect. I had the car, I would leave at 4, meet Kev at Goodland, we'd go on from there. O, but wait--what about Kat? She was so looking forward to seeing her cousins. Do we want to live with her temper and disappointment? Quick decision, we'll just pull her out of school for one day. So, I call the school, get her packed, picked up, and we're off into the sunset. We get the car and the girl delivered in good time. We can see the storm clouds building. All made it home safely.

Our plan C part 2 is that on Saturday, we'll go hunting in the morning, then drive to Colo Springs that afternoon. We'll stop at Lowe's and Home Depot, do a little shopping there, price big screen TV's (maybe buy one), then head home on Sunday.

Except...

This morning Andy informed me that the beef sale he wants to go to to buy a 4-H steer is Saturday. And, his youth bowling team bowls Saturday. So, we have to decide if we are amending plan C part 2 and make it plan C parts 2 and 3. Do we leave Andy at home alone? Do we make him cancel his bowling plans? If he goes to the sale, he'll have to cancel bowling anyway. Do I trust him not to spend too much money on a steer? Heck, do I trust him to get it home ok--alone? Do I let him miss an opportunity to see his family? Do I trust a teenager at home--alone--on a weekend? Could I enjoy myself in Colo Springs, knowing my teenager is home--alone--on a weekend, with his checkbook--alone?

Maybe I should send Kev out alone. That could be plan D--Kev go alone. I'll stay with the teenager. That will work. Or maybe Plan E--the teenager will just have to go with us.

Or plan F... I give up...no more planning... really.

No comments: