Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Why do I have goats?

Can someone please tell me why I have goats?

Last night, I got vaccine and penicillin for Winter. She was due for a vaccination, and since she tried to rip off her ear, I thought a dose of penicillin would probably be best. I had visited with the vet, who is NOT a goat person, but she KNOWS a goat vet, so we are doing the best we can.

I ran by the vet clinic for 3 doses of vaccine, one for each of the 3 goats. Then I ran to Orschlen's for some Koppertox and syringes and wormer, then home. I wrangled my assistants, because I knew I'd need them. Andy and Kev were both wrangled to help.

The vaccination went well. We caught Winter, Kev and Andy held her against the fence. I gave the shot. Sub cue. No problem. I didn't go in and out the skin this time, the med's got where they needed to be, and she didn't fight too much. Next on the list, penicillin. I had loaded the syringe, warned my assistants that she'd jump because penicillin burns. (Just ask anyone who's had a shot of penicillin in the hiney...)

She jumped. Bent my needle. She threw a fit, reared up on hind legs and all. We wrestled her down, I tried again. She jumped and knocked the needle from my hand. Third try, same result. Ok, we'll, move on. I'll get someone more comfortable giving shots to help me with this one. (Kim...)

The Koppertox (I'm misspelling it, cause I didn't read the label that closely), is for her hooves. You see, I trimmed her hoof to short and she's been walking on her knees. Splayed toe is the condition, if the inside of the hoof is too short, the goat will spread her toes when walking putting stress on the upper foot and the "crack" between the toes. The vet recommended the Koppertox to toughen up the hoof and hopefully help her get over this a little quicker. Worth a try. Koppertox is a liquid. It's blue/green--the blue/green of copper, and it stinks, a definate metallic scent. Once spilled, it can only be removed with paint thinner. Great. Needless to say, I had a blue/green hand, no paint thinner, and my hand stunk all night. But I did get it squirted on Winter's hoof--the correct hoof, first try.

Round 4 was for the wormer. The wormer I got is really for horses, but it's ok for goats, you just give a lot less. Yeah right. Insert nozzle into goats mouth, not too bad, except when said goat is really tired of you messing with her. But, I got a dose in her, she actually came sniffing for more, but this is a one shot deal, I'm DONE.

Now for the kid-goats, they just got vaccine and wormer. They were much easier to hold and they also wanted more wormer. And their hooves need a trim. But I'd had enough. Someone, please remind me that I don't have to do everything at once. I can space things out next time.

And the sad thought? Well, we're getting 2 or 3 new goats this weekend. I'll have to vaccinate and worm them too. Since they will be new to us, I have no idea what to expect. And since 1, maybe 2 of them will be bucks--in rut, it will probably be a joyful experience. I'll probably smell like something other than Koppertox...

Now, why do I have goats?

1 comment:

agent713 said...

Wow. I have NO idea why you have goats. They sound like WAY too much work.

Any chance you can share some happy goat stories? :D

~Heidi