Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Books and the deserted island

I've been challenged to list 3 books that I'd want on a deserted island. But there is a problem.

Which 3 books? Why only 3? I can list 3 books, but which 3 should I list? Should I list the 3 that are stacked up, waiting for me to read them? Should I list 3 favorites? Can I list 3 series, and not just 3 individual titles? 3 favorite authors? Should I list 3 of those on my growing I-need-to-read-this list? Should I list 3 classics that I've never taken time to read. I'm just going to play it safe and list them all.

3 books I've got stacked up, waiting to be read.

1. Queen of Swords by Sara Donati.
2. Meeting at Corvallis by S.M. Stirling.
3. Mayflower by Nathaniel Philbrick.

3 favorite books.

1. Oklahoma Run. Can't remember the author, but it's an old novel written in the '50's. I loved it, and still re-read it every once in a while.
2. Valley of the Horses by Jean Auel.
3. Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon.

3 series of books

1. Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon.
2. Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling
3. Earth's Children series by Jean Auel
4. Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder. (Yeah, I know it says 3, I'm not good at rules...)

3 favorite authors

1. Diana Gabaldon
2. Anne McCaffrey
3. Nora Roberts

3 Classics I've never read

1. Catcher in the Rye.
2. Of Mice and Men.
3. War and Peace.

3 titles in my need-to-read-soon list (From lists and book reviews I've got clipped and laying all over my desk.)

1. The scroll of Seduction by Belli Gioconda
2. The Stand by Stephen King
3. The Testerone Files by Max Wolf Valerio

Now, IF I were on a deserted island, what books would I really want to have? I'd want a survival manual. Cause, I'm a person who buys how-to books about my animals, so I'd need a survival manual. I'd want some book that I could read over and over and over, and being a voracious reader, I'd need a thick one, so would probably take ALL of Diana Gabaldon's books. And, I guess I'd want another how-to book--how to build a boat, so I could leave. After I re-read all of Diana's books.

No comments: