Wednesday, December 13, 2006

I am the Queen

I realized this past sunday that I am the Queen doe of my goat "herd." My "herd" consists now of 2 goats. However, I am the Queen. Looking out the kitchen window sunday morning, I noticed that two of the stock panels were down. Luckily, neither goat was out of the pen. So, after lunch, I set out to fix the fence. My herd followed me out, and even followed me into the pasture, outside their fence. Not a problem, there's grass, they could graze while I fixed one panel and then I'd herd them back in. Except, they wouldn't stay out in the pasture unless I was out there with them. I couldn't fix the fence if I was out in the pasture. Every time I walked back to the fence, they'd "maaa" and bounce along behind me. So, I stopped fixing the fence and sat out in the grass watching my herd graze contentedly. They were content, I was content. The grass was soft and curly, the sun was warm, the goats were chomping and watching me, their Queen.

I am also the Queen chicken. Or maybe just the head "cook". Whenever I walk towards the pen, or even into the pen, I'm swarmed. Chickens underfoot, behind foot, beside foot, I can't take a step without stepping on a chicken. They know that I'm the person who makes sure the feeder is full, I"m the person who sometimes has treats like nasty lettace, or leftover anything. I'm also the one who gives them that tasty treat, scratch grains! Milo, cracked corn, wheat, black sunflower seeds all good for them, all quite tasty, all devoured almost as soon as it hits the ground. The two red girls, who stay inside all the time, swarm me when I open the feedbox. Yep, they want their share and hop up on the rim of the feedbox clucking and cooing, begging me for a treat. Once they are fed, I'm history. I'm of no further use and they practically ignore me. Fickle chickens.

You know, on those days when my Kids think I'm the mother from Hell, it's nice to have someone who loves me, even if it's goats and chickens!

No comments: