Monday, June 29, 2009

broody

In December when I ordered my new chickens, I picked Buff Orpingtons because they still had the instinct to go broody, and I wanted to be able to raise some chicks myself instead of buying replacement hens all the time.

Except, as my pullets reached maturity, the rooster I had was ambushed and stolen by a coyote or some other creature.

And, I was actually OK without a rooster because now I didn't need to watch my back (or my shins) when I went out to gather eggs or take care of the chickens. It's been rather nice and relaxing. Besides, without a rooster to worry about, Miss Kat has actually gone out and helped with chicken chores. She was/is afraid of roosters. Especially since one spurred her a couple of years ago.

But now, I have a new problem.

I have three hens who've gone broody and are trying to set a nest.

Except the eggs they are sitting on will not hatch because they haven't been fertilized.

For the past three nights, I've made three hens very angry and frustrated as I've pulled them off of nests and out of nesting boxes. And, they've pecked me in frustration. One hen isn't even sitting on any eggs. One had 3 eggs under her yesterday and the third had 2. Friday night, one had 3 the other two had 1 egg each.

And, they really don't like me much right now. I've apologized. I've tried explaining the facts of life to them. I've even had sex education classes, but they didn't listen. Evidently they know more than I do about this procreation thing... And, if you think teen aged girls are moody...well, maybe you should spend some time with a broody hen.

So, I'm in the market for a rooster. I think I've found one (maybe two.) We'll see what develops.

No comments: