Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Mom, I have to take Kat to the Hospital now.

"Mom, I have to take Kat to the Hospital now."

That was Andy's opening sentence when I answered the phone last night as we were coming home from work.

Now, what would go through your mind if you heard that sentence instead of "Hello?"

I instantly started thinking of ways she could have hurt herself. My first thought was that she cut herself with a knife. Andy didn't sound too panicked, so it couldn't be too severe, but still had to be bad enough for him to tell me he's taking her to the hospital...which is 20 miles from home.

That was my thought in the split second before he started his second, and following sentences; "She's emptied the dishwasher, re-loaded it, wiped down the counters, put everything away, swept the floor and she even mopped up the dog prints...without being told."

(I laughed too.)

I have to admit, this is probably the first time she's taken any initiative and has done any cleaning without being told to, without me nagging, or threatening her. It was rather nice.

When we got home, she proudly showed me the clean kitchen. She even threatened me about keeping it clean.

It didn't stay clean, because I had to cook supper, but once supper was finished, Andy and I cleaned it again.

Just when you think you know your kid...they go and do something nice. She just might turn out all right after all!

No comments: