Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Chick days

Spring is right around the corner. I know this because it's "Chick days" at Orschlens, the local farm & ranch supply store. What this means is, it's time to get baby chicks!

I stopped by last night while waiting for Kev to finish at work. They had several chicks in already and are taking orders. All the watering supplies are out, feeders are out, feed is on sale, chicks cheeping, heat lamps hanging... I wanted to just grab up 20 or so chicks and head for home. But I didn't.

Kev and I have to build a chicken house, and I'm still not sure what kind of chickens I want to get.

There's Plymouth Barred Rocks

I started out with Barred Rocks. I like Barred Rocks, they are hearty, big chickens who lay good sized eggs. And, they tolerate the heat and the cold well. But,they are a little snooty.

Then, there's Rhode Island Reds.

I got RIR's for the first time last year. I really liked them. I had 2 broody hens who actually hatched chicks...no, none of them actually made it, but that was more my fault for not being ready and having a place for them. My RIR's were more...personable too. They liked me better than those snooty Barred Rocks.

Then, I've also had some Americanas.

Americanas lay those blue and green eggs. They are pretty chickens with small combs. Now, I only had one hen survive, and she was very timid. And, when I bought and paid for Americana pullets, I got 5 roosters. Roosters don't lay blue or green eggs. While they were really pretty birds, they were...Randy, and never left the hen's alone. So, I don't know if I want to try Americana's again.

Decisions, decisions.

Right now, I'm leaning toward 10 RIR's and 10 Americana's. I'm planning to order chicks (or pick some up) on Saturday. I can't wait.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what happened to the Americana hen? We bought 3 and they seem to be doing well although we have only had them for a week. Any tips as rhis is our first year raising chickens?