Monday, September 22, 2008

andy

I took Andy to a Trap Shoot on Saturday. A competition just for kids. He took 4th in his age group. He was tied for third, so we had a shoot off. His first. He had quite a following of on-lookers and watching friends. We were all very quiet during the shoot off. It ran through my head that it was like we were all at a golf match. We were that quiet!

When it was over, and Andy had lost the shoot off by 2 rock, I told him he couldn't be in one again, it was too hard on his old Mom.

He just looked at me and said "Well, Mom, it was harder on me, I was shaking!"

He so very seldom appears to be nervous, that I just don't think about him being nervous! He's a pretty laid back, calm person.

So, he didn't get a medal or any of the cool prizes they had at the shoot, but he was very happy with taking 4th. I was too. I don't know how many kids were there in his age bracket, but I do know that there were over 150 kids who shot. Fewer girls, but there were several girls. Unfortunately, only the girl who takes first place gets a medal. What's with that??? I think they should give the same prizes to girls as they do to guys. Sex discrimination still lives in trap shooting.

But, back to Andy. He shot really well considering he hasn't shot in over a month. Would he have shot better if he'd been shooting these past 5 weeks? I don't know. All I know is between football and trap shooting and archery...the kid sure makes his mom proud.

No comments: