Monday, April 21, 2008

It's finished!

The chicken mansion is finished! It's complete. It's done. Well, except for painting. I have to paint it. Relatively soon.

Kev and I spent most of the day on Saturday working on finishing it up. We put in the windows, which actually open and close and have screens. We put in the chicken door--you know, that little door that chickens can go in and out, but humans and dogs are too big to get in and out. Kev started on the nesting boxes, and we need to make more permanent roosts, but the structure itself is complete.

We also put up a fence Saturday. The fence is mainly a deterrent for foxes and raccoons. And, until the chickens learn to watch for danger, it's to keep them closer to their shelter. They'll have to learn to watch for hawks and such, but that's something I can't teach them.

Last night, in celebration, I fed them some week-old, dried out donuts. Oh, and some week old popcorn. But, these chickens aren't used to having food tossed to them yet. They didn't run to see what I'd thrown down, instead, they ran away. Won't take them too long to learn to run to me when I call, "here chick chick..." Since these guys wouldn't come to me, I put their donuts and popcorn in their feeders. I'm sure it's gone by now.

I'll try to get out with the camera and take some pictures. But, I have to admit, I'm quite proud of our chicken mansion.

1 comment:

Ranch Wife said...

LOL! I've got a friend whose husband is building her a chicken condo. Condos and mansions ~ these chickens are living in high cotton! LOL! I can't wait to see the photos! We didn't get any chickens this year because their housing has been condemned.