Friday, November 07, 2008

Basketball

Miss Kat decided to go out for Basketball. She wasn't going to. For the past couple of years, we've heard about how Basketball is stupid and how she's not going to ever play it.

Volleyball ended, and Basketball practice started immediately. Day two of practice, she announced that she's going out for basketball. Why the change of heart? Because Jr. High Basketball practice starts in PE and continues after school for an hour. If she didn't go out for Basketball, she'd have to run for exercise. And that is "boring." An additional reason for going out, she was the only girl who wasn't going out.

So...yesterday was her first game. She has another game today. And, she's mad at me cause I couldn't go yesterday, and I can't go today. So far this morning, I've gotten 3 phone calls and my darling daughter says in a sinister, evil tone:

"If we lived in Colby, you'd come to my games. You went to all of Andy's games. I guess he's more important."

Calls like this make me so enjoy being a mother. And, they make me understand why some animals eat their young.

Anyway, she got home last night from her game around 9:00. And, she had math homework to do. So, she's sitting with Kev and I doing her homework and we ask about the game.

Us: Did you play B team?

K: Yes.

Us: What position did you play?

K: I don't know.

Us: Were you at the top of the key?

K: What's the key?

Us: That's the painted area, you know, the rectangle part under the basket.

K: Nope, I don't play base line.

Us: Nope, that's the bottom of the key, were you a guard?

K: What's that?

Us: Well, where do you play?

K: I play way over on this side and way over on that side and in the middle. And, we run some plays like yesterday, he called it a triangle, but today he called it a "3" and I got confused and didn't know what to do. I don't know what I'm doing most of the time anyway. He explained it to me after the game.

Us: Did you shoot?

K: NO! I don't like to shoot.

Us: Did you foul anyone?

K: No, I don't like to get fouls.

Us: Did you get fouled?

K: No, but I like getting fouled, cause I like shooting free-throws.

So, now...her loving father and I decide to mess with her...

Us: Did you play full court ball?

K: What's that? You mean did we go on both sides? Yes.

Us: Oh, so you didn't play 1/2 court.

K: No.

Us: Did you play 5 man ball?

K: What?

Us: Well, did you play 5 man or 6 man ball?

K: Ummmmm. I don't know. What's the difference?

Yep, she's my daughter. She knows as much about Basketball as I do about Football and Volleyball! I'm so proud! (and for the record, I do know Basketball!)

No comments: