Monday, January 05, 2009

Hunting season 2008 recap

Deer season is over. I didn't get a deer this year.

It's been a year of learning for me. Hunting here is not at all what I'm used to doing, and I'm going to have to come up with some new strategies.

I learned that when it's 3 degrees above 0, it's OK to stay home. And, when you are standing in a tree stand when it's 3 degrees, your toes will get cold first, and they hurt when they get really cold. When it's 3 degrees out and your toes hurt, you can only tolerate that pain and cold for about an hour before saying "to heck with this, I'm leaving."

When you finally get in pickup, and start to thaw, then you will see 2 deer who probably were headed to the tree stand where they could laugh at the stupid human who got cold.

I also learned what it's like to really stalk deer. I crawled 20 or 30 yards to get close to 3 bucks. I made it within 10 yards before they saw me. And, it's my fault that they saw me. See, Kev and I decided to stop one day at the Hill. I had seen deer cut back in the pasture through a draw on 3 separate occasions. So, we decided to check out the draw. The deer were there all right, and I got so close, but I peeked up over some sagebrush to see exactly where they were, and one saw me and they all took off. It took me 30 minutes to crawl that 20-30 yards.

One week after crawling around trying to get close to these deer, Kev happened to go by and see 9 deer right there, within shooting range of my tree stand. For 3 months, I've been hunting there, and never ever had a deer come within range of my tree. I'm sure those deer were standing around, laughing at the stupid human who took the day off.

So, I didn't get a deer this year. But, I've got 9 months, and it will be deer season again. I've got that amount of time to out-smart these deer...

No comments: